Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Speaking of Dump Trucks, Aunt Peedy..."

Our blog is for many things - posting fun chess videos, reporting local chess news, letting people know about exciting upcoming events in or around London, setting the odd puzzle, taking a look at the occasional book, reporting on chess curiosa from the chess blogosphere or the world at large, keeping in touch with one another, outright trivia, letting potential members of our club know what we're like, charting the continuing adventures of Geoff Scorebook - you name it, the list goes on and on. But let's not forget self-indulgent bragging celebrating the achievements we're proud of.

(Like, a certain blogger's first-ever victory over a titled-player -


- from board 2 of Streatham and Brixton Chess Club Second Team's recent London League clash versus Richmond Chess Club.)

12 comments:

Jonathan B said...

Nice one Tom.

Jonathan B said...

And tonight you add winning the club's mid-season quickplay tournament to your list of achievements ...

{illyria} said...

i knew you'd go far. and i know that much, even if i do lose at tic-tac-toe. ;)

Tom Chivers said...

Aw. Thanks {i}!

& Jonathan - yes. Now I have two!

ejh said...

Just how much material is Black losing at the end? At first I thought it was just an exchange and a pawn, but I think there's another piece going too, isn't there?

Tom Chivers said...

I think he's actually just a pawn down after 21...Qa3 22.Qxa3 Bxa3 23.Bxb7 Ra7 24.a6 - but his a7 rook is permanently excluded from play. Nonetheless I thought his resignation was a bit premature: if I were black, I would have made sure white had the technique.

ejh said...

Blimey. I missed that and maybe so did he.

Tom Chivers said...

Maybe, maybe... unfortunately though we didn't have a postmortem so I guess I'll never know.

Anonymous said...

Surely "titled player" is normally short-hand for "IM" isn't it?

Not to attempt to take away any sense of personal satisfaction, neither to take anything away from Michael who is still a remarkable performer for his longevity, but FIDE titles go down pretty low these days. Especially with the FM title which can arguably only distinguish two people of equal strength by their willingness to fill FIDE's coffers.

Richard

Tom Chivers said...

FM is a title, & 187 is not an improbably low grade for an FM either: you start getting IMs in the high 190s after all.

It's true that WFM doesn't mean much in the man's game, though, & it's also true that those with titles are not automatically stronger players than those without (or those with lesser titles.)

ejh said...

I tend to reckon that the main function of the FM title is to enable people like me to say we've beaten titled players. I've beaten 4 FMs and until I finally pot myself an IM I think this claim will remain valid.

Tom Chivers said...

The play-thru board seems to have stopped working, so here are the moves:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 3. c4 d6 4. d4 Nd7 5. Nc3 e6 6. dxc5 Nxc5 7. b4 Nd7 8. Bf4 Qb6 9. Rb1 Ngf6 10. Be2 Be7 11. O-O O-O 12. e5 dxe5 13.
Nxe5 Nxe5 14. Bxe5 Rd8 15. Qc2 Bd7 16. c5 Qc6 17. Bf3 Qc8 18. Na4
Bxa4 19. Qxa4 a5 20. bxa5 Qxc5 21. Rb5, 1-0.